Thursday, October 20, 2011

Headlines

Thursday:     Heir to Murdoch empire,  22/23
                    between father and son    22.5/23

                  Photographs reveal     18/18.5
                  oligarchy actually         17/18.5
                  in command of China   18/18.5      

    
World of learning goes digital,   26/27.5
laptop evolves from schoolbook   27.5 /27.5 

Friday:

Ohio zoo animals taste freedom, then death   39/44.5

        Tiger bites preserve owner    25.5/27
        after owner commits suicide   26/27

Foreign performers turn away   27/27
Great Britain's doors, closed     26.5/27

  Economy does not allow 23/23
  artists to enter England    21.5/23

Saturday:

Tiger strikes preserve owner after death  37/38

After preserve owner dies 25/27
Tiger tastes revenge for zoo 26.5/27



Governor orders the banning of people who had been guilty of animal cruelty to have ownership of animals.

Animals Killed: 
9 male lions 
8 lionesses
6 black bears
3 mountain lions
2 grizzly bears
2 wolves
1 baboon

Another piece of the puzzle:  
Owner left behind store-bought chicken parts, which he fed his animals, were left in the driveway not far from his body...

Biography  8.5/9
tells life    7/9
Apple's    6/9
creator  6.5/9


Sunday -

Story 1:

Brazilian surgeons 17/20.5
kill in organ removal 19.5/20,5

Story 2:

Chinese toddler twice 19/20.5
twice by van in street  19.5/20.5

Story 3:

Michele Bachmann left 20.5/20.5
by campaign manager 19.5/20.5

Story 4:

General Electric net 19/20.5
income called 'volatile' 20/20.5

Story 5:

Silence fills NBA 19.5/20.5
after bargain session 19.5/20.5
 

Sandy, I think I did everything right this time around. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, you've got the headline language figured out. Remember, I need each individual line count. Go to the class blog and check out the way Travis did it on his blog -- very clearly presented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia,

    I'm finally getting around to grading these headlines. As said earlier, you seem to have the language down, and your headlines improve as you gain experience. I think I mentioned a couple of yours in class that I thought were really good. Thanks for fixing the count thing.

    A few comments on the later headlines:

    Biography 8.5/9
    tells life 7/9
    Apple's 6/9
    creator 6.5/9

    Seems to be an "of" missing here, as in "life of Apple's..." Can't leave that out. Also, it states the obvious -- isn't retelling life the point of any biography? You need to find something unique and newsworthy.

    Chinese toddler twice 19/20.5
    twice by van in street 19.5/20.5

    Huh? Wouldn't want that to show up in the paper.

    Michele Bachmann left 20.5/20.5
    by campaign manager 19.5/20.5

    Sounds like they were a couple...also passive.

    General Electric net 19/20.5
    income called 'volatile' 20/20.5

    Net income is one of those phrases that can't be broken between lines because it sounds very awkward.

    Silence fills NBA 19.5/20.5
    after bargain session 19.5/20.5

    That's a good one.

    I love your idea for a breakout listing the animals. Another piece of the puzzle is good as well.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete