Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ethics

This statement stood out to me in the ASNE statement: "...enabling them to make judgments on the issues of the time. Newspapermen and women who abuse the power of their professional role for selfish motives or unworthy purposes are faithless to that public trust." I really like this because it is a reminder to journalists that its not about having the most widely read story, its about informing the public.  You're not a good journalist if the public doesn't trust you. 

This too: "Journalists must be constantly alert to see that the public's business is conducted in public. They must be vigilant against all who would exploit the press for selfish purposes."  This packed statement reminds me that the role of journalists is to provide some level of transparency from businesses to the public.  We do have to search for the truth sometimes, but should not be lead astray by people with their own agendas. 

I find the ethics page of the NY Times to be empowering.  There job is to "enhance society."  I think this is important: (17) "We correct our errors explicitly as soon as we become aware of them. We do not wait for someone to request a correction".

"News sources can erode into favoritism," http://www.nytco.com/company-properties-times-coe.html
 This is very true and is something all college journalists must be aware of.  

The NY Times ethics page is a novel, but I'm glad I made it to rule 128:
If a staff member publishes a personal Web page or blog on a site outside our company's control, the staff member has a duty to make sure that the content is purely that: personal. Staff members who write blogs should generally avoid topics they cover professionally; failure to do so would invite a confusion of roles. No personal Web activity should imply the participation or endorsement of the Times Company or any of its units. No one may post text, audio or video created for a Times Company unit without obtaining appropriate permission. 


This is really important in the digital world.  I'm going to bring it up in class today.

After reading the NY Times, the seem to have covered everything that every other news organization did and more. 

In photography ethics, I think this code is important because often journalists can overstep this boundary:
"Treat all subjects with respect and dignity. Give special consideration to vulnerable subjects and compassion to victims of crime or tragedy. Intrude on private moments of grief only when the public has an overriding and justifiable need to see."

I LOVE this one: 
Think proactively, as a student of psychology, sociology, politics and art to develop a unique vision and presentation. Work with a voracious appetite for current events and contemporary visual media. http://nppa.org/professional_development/business_practices/ethics.html
When you can think like this, a journalists work upholds a higher standard.


These readings, however arbitrary they may seem, are important for aspiring journalists to read because knowing the rules of reporting will guide our coverage and make us better journalists.  We need to know our boundaries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment