When I did this assignment two months ago I made a graph, but Blogger erased it; so this time, I made a list of some of the most New York Times’ most popular stories and the categories they seemed to fall under. Each time a category was repeated I added a roman numeral.
As you can see, politics are currently taking the lead in news. I think it’s due to the primaries and the unrest in American, European and Middle Eastern politics. With the Euro doing so poorly and the “99 percent” suffering in the U.S., we need someone to blame.
The opinion pieces are also particularly popular. I think it’s because America needs some guidance; they don’t know who to trust, what to believe, how to make sense of it all, so they trust that Paul Krugman has to say and run with that. For instance, Paul Krugman gives a more supported explanation of what’s going on with the primaries than what everyone else is already saying in “Send in the Clueless.”
This year has been exciting for journalists, but I feel the public getting sick of the primaries, Greece and Occupy Wall Street, which explains the random, fun quirky articles, like cosmos and astrology and “The Wonky Liberal.”
As an editor, as the holidays set in, the days get shorter, I would try to get some cheery news in my paper.
Derek Boogaard: A Brain ‘Going Bad’
The Wonky Liberal
Send in the Clueless
Many Workers in Public Sector Retiring Sooner
N.Y.C. Police Maligned Paradegoers on Facebook
N.Y - I
Space, Cosmos
Politics III
Global Business II
Science
Sports
Sports
Op-ed I
U.S.
No comments:
Post a Comment