To my dismay, my professor has instructed me to admit publicly the mistakes I often make as an editor and what I need to improve on. In truth, I will tell you that I need to become better acquainted with The AP Stylebook.
I often confuse "effect" and "affect" and have mistaken "weary" for "wary." I even still trip over properly using street names.
What I have learned during my first week of thinking like an editor is that it is not appropriate to write "arrested for" and rather to say, "arrested in connection with..." or "arrested and charged with..."
I also learned that I shouldn't say, "I convinced him to," and instead to say, "I convinced him of."
There is no apostrophe in "1960's." It's just "1960s."
"Further" is used for a sense of time, not distance.
It is correct to say "He looked toward the speaker," not "towards."
I'm getting more Stylebook savvy by the minute.
I often confuse "effect" and "affect" and have mistaken "weary" for "wary." I even still trip over properly using street names.
What I have learned during my first week of thinking like an editor is that it is not appropriate to write "arrested for" and rather to say, "arrested in connection with..." or "arrested and charged with..."
I also learned that I shouldn't say, "I convinced him to," and instead to say, "I convinced him of."
There is no apostrophe in "1960's." It's just "1960s."
"Further" is used for a sense of time, not distance.
It is correct to say "He looked toward the speaker," not "towards."
I'm getting more Stylebook savvy by the minute.
No comments:
Post a Comment